Cash's, or J. J. Cash Ltd., is a company in Coventry, England, founded in 1846, that manufactures woven name tapes and other woven products and is known for formerly making ribbons.
2 Cash Family,
3 Cash's Topshops,
4 William Andrews,
5 Post war,
8 External links,
The company was founded by two brothers, John and Joseph Cash, sons of a wealthy stuff (or textile)-merchant, also called Joseph. At the time of the company's founding, the father and sons already had a warehouse and offices in Hertford Street, Coventry. They sold ribbons made for them by outworkers.
In 1846, the two brothers set up a ribbon-making factory with 100 looms, at West Orchard.
The brothers, who were Quakers, were philanthropists and model employers; Joseph for example founded the Coventry Labourers' and Artisans' Friendly Society, in 1843, along with his friend Charles Bray. This friendly society provided 400 allotments for working people, as well as a store selling groceries.
He built an infants' school in the garden of his home, Sherborne House, in 1853, which he also allowed local Wesleyans to use as a place of worship.
John Cash bought his house, 'Rosehill', from George Eliot, who then moved into a cottage in its grounds. John's wife was Mary Sibree, to whom Eliot had been tutor of German.
In 1857, Cash's commissioned a series of three-storey weavers' cottages on a plot of land alongside the Coventry Canal at Kingfield, and on a road now known as Cash's Lane (52°25′19″N 1°30′29″W / 52.42208°N 1.50796°W / 52.42208; -1.50796), then in countryside, outside the city boundary. Initially 100 such cottages were planned, but eventually only 48 were built, in two blocks. These used bricks, with tiled roofs and mock Tudor barge-boards on the gables. Each had a garden. On the top floor of each cottage was a well-lit work area, known collectively as 'Cash's Topshops', housing a Jacquard loom, powered by a central, steam-powered beam engine. They opened for business on 12 October 1857, and the individual workshops were combined into single, large, workspaces in 1862. The houses still stand, and were Grade II listed on 10 October 1975.
A park called Cash's Park lies nearby, to the west (52°25′21″N 1°30′38″W / 52.42245°N 1.51057°W / 52.42245; -1.51057).
The dairy of Cash's first factory manager at Kingfield, William Andrews, was the subject of a book, Master and Artisan in Victorian England, published in 1969, in which it was reproduced. The original is held in the city's Herbert Art Gallery and Museum ("The Herbert").
Andrews (1835-1914) joined the firm in 1855, as a designer, immediately after completing his apprenticeship. The Cash brothers contracted him for three years, at annual salary of £100. In late 1857 he was offered managership of the Kingfield site, and took up residence at 8, Kingfield. He negotiated a salary of £120, with his house, gas and coal provided free. In addition, he was to be paid separately for his design work. He was not popular with the weavers, and left in June 1858 to manage another part of the business, at Drapers Fields.
The factory was damaged by bombing in World War II, and parts subsequently demolished.
During the 1960s, Cash's absorbed other Coventry weaving companies, including B. Laird, Lester Harris and W.H. Grant. Other local competitors failed, leaving Cash's the only survivor of the type in the city. In January 1964, Cash's were appointed 'Manufacturers of Woven Name Tapes to Her Majesty the Queen.'
The company was sold to the Jones Stroud Group in 1976, ending the involvement of the Cash family. In 1984, the Kingfield site was vacated, and the company move to more modern premises on Torrington Avenue, where it continues to make woven products. Cash's no longer make ribbons.
Many Cash's products are sought after by collectors, and featured in museum collections.
Cash's original records were destroyed by a bomb, but many of the company's subsequent archives are in the Coventry local history centre, in The Herbert. In 1996, the 150th anniversary of the opening of the company's first factory was celebrated by an exhibition at The Herbert, 'A Woven Image'.
The Primary school: Joseph Cash Primary School is in the Radford area of Coventry.