"Resurrecting Music Row One Country Song At A Time" ...RKC
QUICK FACTS ABOUT ROSS KEY
• Vocals • Lead & Rhythm Guitar (6 & 12 string) • Bass • Dobro • Banjo (4 & 5 string) • Fiddle • Keyboard/Piano • Mandolin • Upright Bass
• Entertainer • Musician • Singer/Songwriter
• 30+ Years Professional Experience
• Sold through ASCAP
• Represented by BMI Nashville
He has performed on stage with Willie Nelson and opened for Waylon Jennings, Alabama, Emmylou Harris, Ronnie Milsap, Jimmy Buffett, Hank Williams Jr., Freddy Fender, Joe Stampley, Moe Bandy, and numerous others.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Third Palm Eagle Scout with Boy Scouts of America
• Recipient of the distinguished Virginia State Dobro Championship
• Boy Scouts of America Western Europe Music Ambassador (1976)
• Earned a private audience with King Gustaf of Sweden during European Tour (1976)
• Commendation and Recognition from the Musicians In Action Guild (2011)
• Independent Country Music Association (ICoMA) 2012 "Best Musician" Nominee (2012)
• Independent Country Music Association (ICoMA) 2013 "Best Country Music Festival" Winner (2013)
• Currently serving on the Board of Directors for ROPE International (Reunion of Professional Entertainers) (2014)
Born and raised in Lynchburg, Virginia, Ross Key was born with a God-given musical talent. While he will tell you he had to work at learning each instrument he plays, he easily acquired the basics of music. Until 2011, Key lived within a 20-mile radius of his hometown. Key's paternal grandparents told him he was a direct decendent (6th generation) grandson of Francis Scott Key, the author of our nation's National Anthem, the Star Spangled Banner. His uncle, Tommy Dunaway, played in the band with Mel Tillis, so as a child, he was exposed to the world of country music. Key recalls meeting Tillis' daughter, Pam, when they were both small children.
Ross was given his first guitar by an older brother at age 12 and by 15, he was teaching guitar professionally at a local music store. He had his first paid, weekly gig by age 15 with his band, Key and the MasterLocks. He performed live on a local Jerry Lewis Telethon, and hired to perform at a McDonalds’ Grand Opening at that age. At age 16, he traveled Europe with the Boy Scouts of America, performing before King Gustaf of Sweden, which earned him a private audience with the King. He also performed before other political figures of that time throughout Europe. Key earned his Third Palm Eagle Scout badge by age 18.
A versatile musician, Key is an established professional entertainer, singer/songwriter and musician, incorporating his own material into his show which has garnered much attention from local and regional venues, radio stations, A&R’s, and record companies. Versatility coupled with a unique and distinctive style of his own, Key maintains a firm grasp on country music as it was performed by country music legends decades ago. His vocals range from soft and rasping to a hard, driving sound that creates an air of originality. Unlike many in his field, Key doesn't duplicate or mimic. He makes each song his own, performing those songs that touch his heart in some manner. Key opens every show with his signature song, "Under The Double Eagle", capturing the attention of audiences wherever he performs.