Editor’s Note: Paisley will be profiled in a new episode of CMT Inside Fame debuting Saturday (Feb. 7) at 8 p.m. ET/PT. He’s also nominated in two categories at the 46th annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. CBS will telecast the awards show Sunday (Feb. 8) at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Brad Paisley has taken some “Little Moments” from his “daily insanity” to answer these 20 questions sent in by CMT.com readers. Keep on reading to find out more about his fondness for mullets, his third home and the biggest fish his wife Kimberly Williams-Paisley ever caught.
1. Where did you find those couples for your video, “Little Moments”? Especially the elderly couple. They remind me so much of my grandparents.
They were all hired actors! The one elderly gentleman appeared in When Harry Met Sally, which was kind of the inspiration for the video.
2. How much time in a day do you spend practicing your guitar? What advice or tips would you offer to an aspiring guitarist?
I spend time with my guitar every day. It helps me think and be creative. As for what to tell an aspiring guitarist … just make sure you’re enjoying what you’re doing and play what you want to play.
3. Who were your biggest influences on the guitar? Why them?
My grandfather … he taught me to play. Redd Volkaert … just because he’s a great player. I was excited that he was able to play on “Spaghetti” on the Mud album.
4. Have you ever thought about doing a tour with Keith Urban and Vince Gill? My husband and I think you, Vince and Keith are the best guitarists around. We would love to hear you three on stage together. That would an awesome show.
I’ve toyed with a similar idea and would love to do a guitar-player driven tour. Just wonder if there’s enough guitar fans out there that would come to see a bunch of guys having that much fun on stage!
5. What other hobbies do you like besides fishing? Why do you like it?
I love my horse and just spending time outdoors. It’s refreshing and an escape from the daily insanity and demands.
6. Have you ever taken Kimberly fishing with you? Has she caught a bigger fish than you?
I’m the biggest fish she’s ever caught! Yeah, she’s caught a bigger fish than me before, but it was beginner’s luck.
7. How did you meet your wife, and how did you ask her to marry you?
It was a blind date set up by Kim’s manager. I was kind of sneaky when I asked her to marry me. She thought I was in Nashville at a No. 1 party. She went to a fake meeting in L.A. with a potential new publicist, and I showed up instead.
8. You and your wife make just a cute couple. Any plans for a family?
Not just yet.
9. A few others and I have noticed that you have a gold and a silver wedding band. Is this true or are we just seeing things?
You’re seeing things … just one ring and it’s silver.
10. What is your favorite dish that Kimberly makes for you?
11. I just wonder how you are adjusting to living in California after being born and raised in a little town in West Virginia. I know you maintain two homes, but does the hustle and bustle of the big city bother you at all?
I actually spend most of my time in a third home … MY BUS! There are things I like about L.A. but more that I like about the country.
12. Last year before your new album came out, you said on your Web site that the next single after “Celebrity” would be called “Big Green Flying Butterflies.” What happened to it?
You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the Internet! It was just a joke, no such song.
13. What color and style of hat is your favorite?
A white Stetson.
14. Are you considering recording “Something About Her” that you sang for Ryan and Trista’s wedding?
I recorded an acoustic version of it that’s available for download on iTunes.
15. Knowing you like traditional country music, and you love the Grand Ole Opry, have you ever thought of having an older member of the Opry open some of your shows when you go out on tour?
Both Bill Anderson and Little Jimmy Dickens have played my annual homecoming show.
16. I am a big fan of your music, and I especially love the gospel songs you include on each album. Will you ever record an entirely gospel album?
Someday, I’d like to.
17. You stay so fit all the time. I was wondering if you had a personal trainer? Or do you and Kim work out together?
No personal trainer. I work out with the guys in the crew when we’re on the road, and I run a lot. When I’m home, Kim and I work out together when there’s time.
18. What’s up with that pierced ear? It seems to come and go. Do you ever wear earrings in it? I have pierced ears, and if I don’t wear earrings every once and a while, the hole will close up. So?
Don’t have a pierced ear, so I guess it’s safe to say I don’t wear earrings … .
19. Have you ever sported a mullet, like so many of your country music forefathers?
I’ve always been a huge fan of the mullet. I’ve just never had the patience to grow one.
20. When I had the chance to meet you in North Dakota, I was very nervous, but you immediately put me at ease. Did you ever meet a fan who made you nervous?
Well, I remember meeting you … that made me a little nervous!