(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)
Time to get 2009 off to a larrupin’ good start with a quiz. Read these questions about events and pick your answers. Due to the faltering economy, there will be no actual prizes for the winners — just my profound appreciation for your keen love of music and your knowledge. The answers are below.
1. Several TV shows have featured or have booked Taylor Swift and/or her music. Which of these shows has not?
a. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
b. Grey’s Anatomy
c. Sex and the City
d. Saturday Night Live
2. Merle Haggard said not long ago that he was going to stop doing something. What was it?
a. Singing “Okie From Muskogee”
b. Eating fast food
d. Smoking alleged weed
3. Jessica Simpson’s straight-to-DVD movie, Private Valentine, features a poster emphasizing her:
4. Which country artist said that rumors about his gubernatorial aspirations are just rumors?
5. Who is the new American Idol judge?
a. Dara Torres
b. Kara DioGuardi
c. Lara DeGeneres
d. Kara Clark
e. Don’t care
6. Which artist won the 2008 Grammy for best country album?
7. Which country artist pulled a man out of the crowd at his concert for assaulting a woman?
8. Which artist apologized in 2008 for an album release?
a. Chris Cagle
b. Trace Adkins
c. Blake Shelton d. Tim McGraw
9. Natalie Maines was sued last year for:
10. Faith Hill, Jennifer Nettles, Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus will perform at the Barack Obama inauguration festivities. Which of these country artists did not perform at the 2005 Bush inauguration?
a. Loretta Lynn
b. Larry Gatlin
c. Lee Greenwood
d. Kinky Friedman
e. Kenny Chesney
f. Lyle Lovett g. Clint Black i. Marcia Ball
j. Reckless Kelly k. Asleep at the Wheel l. Tanya Tucker m. Mark Chesnutt
11. Which country artist who has been dead for decades issued a critically lauded, never-before-played CD boxed set last year?
12. Which country artist posed for a magazine cover in an eye-catching bikini in 2008?
13. Which TV show host picked Randy Houser and his song “Anything Goes” off a radio broadcast to feature on his show?
a. David Letterman
b. Jay Leno
c. Stephen Colbert
d. Ugly George
e. Craig Ferguson
14. Willie Nelson in 2008 lengthened to 46 years his representation on the Billboard singles chart, where he first charted in 1962. Which of Willie’s duets with the following artists hit the country chart last year?
a. Kid Rock, “Two Dudes’ Blues”
b. Kenny Chesney, “That Lucky Old Sun”
c. Merle Haggard, “Roll”
d. George Strait, “Highway Blues”
e. Wynton Marsalis, “My Bucket’s Got a Hole in It”
15. George Jones had his Martin guitar stolen in 1962. It was finally returned to him 46 years later in 2008. What were the circumstances surrounding that?
a. The man who bought it in 1962 for $10 from a couple of boys who wanted beer money said he had tried for years to reach Jones.
b. Jones was a no-show at gigs where the guitar had been following him around for years.
c. Collectors from abroad kept buying and re-selling it.
d. No one recognized it as belonging to Jones.
16. Country songwriter and singer extraordinaire Billy Joe Shaver was indicted in Texas in 2008 for a 2007 incident outside Papa Joe’s bar in Lorena , Texas, wherein Shaver was arrested for shooting a man who was allegedly drunk and wielding a knife. Before allegedly shooting the man, Shaver was overheard to say:
a. “You talkin’ to me?”
b. “Go ahead … make my day.”
c. “Do you feel lucky, punk?”
d. “Where do you want it?”
17. Match the artists and their endorsements.
Banquet Frozen Foods
Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn (again)
alli [weight loss]
18. Name the hometown of Eli Young of the Eli Young Band
c. Waycross, Ga.
d. Eli Young is not a real person.
1. c. Sex and the City
2. d. Alleged weed
3. d. Balcony
4. b. Tim McGraw
5. b. Kara DioGuardia and e. Don’t care.
6. a. Vince Gill
7. c. Tim McGraw
8. d. Tim McGraw for Greatest Hits Vol. 3
9. a. Defamation
10. d. Kinky Friedman
11. d. Hank Williams
12. d. Faith Hill
13. a. David Letterman
14. b. Kenny Chesney, “That Lucky Old Sun”
15. a. He had tried for years
16. d. “Where do you want it?”
17. Phil Vassar/Red Roof Inn, Little Big Town/Red Roof Inn, Wynonna/alli, Lee Ann Womack/Banquet Frozen Foods, George Strait/Wrangler, Emmylou Harris/PETA
18. d. Eli Young is not a real person. (The band is named after vocalist Mike Eli and guitarist James Young.)