Here’s another little quiz to occupy your summer leisure time. The answers are below.
1. John Rich wrote or co-wrote which of the following songs:
B. “All Jacked Up”
C. “I Play Chicken With the Train”
D. “One Bud Wiser”
E. “Redneck Woman”
2. True or False:
Elvis Presley early in his career had plastic surgery so that he would more closely resemble the face of the figure in the Statue of Liberty.
3. True or False:
Taylor Swift once posed for photos with her navel exposed.
4. True or False:
Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead once auditioned for bluegrass pioneer Bill Monroe to play banjo in his Blue Grass Boys.
5. Jamey Johnson wrote or co-wrote which of the following songs:
A. “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”
B. “John Wayne and Jesus”
C. “High Cost of Living”
D. “In Color”
E. “Give It Away”
6. Kris Kristofferson’s original co-starring role (with Barbra Streisand) in the movie A Star Is Born was initially intended for which singer?
A. Waylon Jennings
B. Willie Nelson
C. Merle Haggard
D. Johnny Cash
E. Elvis Presley
7. What happened to result in Kristofferson landing the role instead of the original singer?
A. The singer didn’t personally care for Streisand.
B. The singer was too strung out on pills and whiskey at the time.
C. The singer’s manager demanded an extravagant fee both for himself and the singer.
D. The singer thought it might hurt his image with his country fans.
E. The singer’s manager demanded an executive producer credit on the movie.
8. When Kristofferson was shooting A Star Is Born, he had fierce arguments with the movie’s producer, Jon Peters (Streisand’s boyfriend). What did he once famously say to Peters?
A. Sure. I’ll give up more scenes to your wife.
B. No, I won’t drive Barbra’s limo every day.
C. If I want any s**t out of you, I’ll squeeze your head.
D. No, I ain’t gonna co-write songs with you.
E. Tell Barbra I that I am using mouthwash.
9. Brad Paisley wrote his first song at age 12. The song was:
A. “Gonna Pick a Guitar Song”
B. “I’d Like to Check You for Fleas”
C. “I’m Gonna Be a Nashville Cat”
D. “Born on Christmas Day”
E. “Fish Fry Saturday Night”
10. CMT Music Awards buckle winner Kid Rock’s first album was released in 1990. What was the title?
A. The Polyfuze Method
C. Early Mornin’ Stoned Pimp
D. Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast
E. Devil Without a Cause
11. Rascal Flatts now have a new sponsored late-night breakfast attraction at Denny’s restaurants. Their Unstoppable Breakfast consists of:
A. The dish that military personnel refer to as “SOS”
B. Fresh fruit, yogurt, green tea, and whole wheat toasted muffins
C. Bloody Marys followed by more Bloody Marys
D. A biscuit topped with country-fried steak, eggs, American cheese, country gravy and three strips of bacon, served with a side of hash browns
E. Breakfast sushi and sake
12. At the CMT Music Awards show, Taylor Swift name-checked both Shania Twain and Garth Brooks as inspirations to her. What was Garth Brooks’ last No. 1 chart hit?
A. “More Than a Memory”
B. “Beer Run”
C. “Lost in You”
D. “Wild Horses”
E. “Wrapped Up in You”
13. Shania Twain may have new music available later this year, after a lengthy hiatus for personal reasons. Her last No. 1 hit was:
A. “You’re Still the One”
B. “Forever and For Always”
C. “Party for Two”
D. “I’m Gonna Getcha Good!”
E. “That Don’t Impress Me Much”
14. Who, besides Rascal Flatts, has won the CMT Music Award for group video of the year?
A. The Statler Brothers
B. Diamond Rio
D. The Oak Ridge Boys
E. Brooks & Dunn
15. Which of the following personalities have hosted the CMT Music Awards show?
A. Dolly Parton
B. Toby Keith
C. Pamela Anderson
D. Jeff Foxworthy
E. Stephen Colbert
16. Which rock stars have won a CMT Music Award?
A. Ted Nugent
B. Robert Plant
C. The group Bon Jovi
D. Kid Rock
E. Bruce Springsteen
17. What did Rick Schroeder win a CMT Music Award for?
A. Acting in Trace Adkins’ video for “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”
B. Acting in Brad Paisley’s video for “Celebrity”
C. Directing Toby Keith’s video for “I Wanna Talk About Me”
D. Directing the Brad Paisley/Alison Krauss video for “Whiskey Lullaby”
E. Directing the video for Gretchen Wilson’s “Redneck Woman”
1. All of them
2. False. That is an urban myth.
4. True. Garcia loved Monroe and bluegrass music.
5. All of them
6. E. Elvis Presley
7. C. Elvis’ manager Tom Parker demanded huge fees for himself and for Elvis.
9. D. “Born on Christmas Day” is on Paisley’s 2006 album, A Brad Paisley Christmas
10. D. Grits Sandwiches for Breakfast
11. D. Biscuit with all that stuff
12. A. “More Than a Memory” in 2007
13. A. “You’re Still the One” in 1998
14. E. Brooks & Dunn, for “Only in America” in 2002, when the award was called group/duo video of the year.
15. All of them have, except Stephen Colbert.
16. B, C, and D. Plant (for “Gone, Gone, Gone (Done Moved On)” with Alison Krauss in 2008), Bon Jovi (for “Till We Ain’t Strangers Anymore” with LeAnn Rimes in 2008), and Kid Rock (for “All Summer Long” in 2009)
17. D. Directing the video for “Whiskey Lullaby” in 2005