(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)
Spring has sprung, so I think it’s time to kick back a little and try a restful country music quiz. Googling is allowed. The answers are below.
1. Jeff Bridges won an Academy Award for best actor in Crazy Heart. This was his:
A. Fifth Oscar.
B. Second Oscar.
C. Third Oscar.
D. First Oscar.
2. Tim McGraw’s role in the movie The Blind Side is as:
A. A football coach.
B. A police officer.
C. Sandra Bullock’s character’s husband.
D. A high school teacher.
A. The Blind Side.
C. The Hurt Locker.
D. Crazy Heart.
5. In the group Lady Antebellum’s name, the word “antebellum” means:
A. The period before a war, especially before the American Civil War.
B. A small room next to an anteroom.
C. The bell chamber in a cathedral.
D. A belligerent woman.
6. The subject of Lady Antebellum’s big hit “Need You Now” is:
A. A call for an intervention.
B. Drunk dialing.
C. A woman calling her dog.
D. A diner trying to get the waiter’s attention.
7. In his past, Jamey Johnson was:
A. A fraternity member.
B. A U.S. Marine.
C. A college classmate of Alabama’s Randy Owen.
D. A salesman for a sign company.
E. All of the above
F. None of the above
8. Jessica Harp, formerly of the Wreckers and lately a solo artist, recently announced she’s giving up her singing career to concentrate on songwriting. Who else has quit performing as a country artist?
9. Lady Antebellum asked Bill Anderson to introduce them at their Ryman Auditorium debut concert because:
A. He gave them their group name.
B. He had suggested that the three of them record together.
C. He introduced them at their Grand Ole Opry debut.
D. He taught them songwriting.
10. When Easton Corbin’s first album, A Little More Country Than That, debuted a few days ago at No. 10 on the Billboard 200 all-genre album chart, his record company, the Universal Music Group Nashville, announced that he was the highest-debuting male artist on the record label in seven years. Who was the UMG Nashville artist from seven years ago that he supplanted?
11. Apple recently announced its 10 billionth iTunes song download sale. What was the song?
12. On a recent episode of CSI, the group Rascal Flatts suffered a serious on-stage incident. What was it?
A. A fall into the stage pit
B. Exhaustion caused by six lengthy encores
C. Electrocution via microphone
D. Poisoning via poisoned hair gel
13. Which country song or songs that evoke a tractor specifically names John Deere?
14. The duo Steel Magnolia recently made Billboard history when their first single, “Keep On Lovin’ You,” debuted at No. 14 on the country songs chart, making it the highest-rating debut by a male-female duo in the chart’s 66-year history. Which other male-female duos have had chart success? (Note: Male-female occasional duet partners — such as George Jones and Tammy Wynette — are not considered as full-time duos).
15. Which is the only father-daughter duo in country music history?
A. The Kendalls
B. Joey & Rory
C. Johnnie & Mabel
D. Max & Florence
E. Carl & Pearl Butler
16. What about Sugarland? That’s a male-female duo with huge success. What’s with that?
A. Their first single, “Sugar Sugar,” tanked on the chart.
B. They were originally a quartet.
C. They were originally a polka band.
D. Sugarland are now a duo but were originally a trio.
17. What is Toby Keith’s real name?
A. Toby Keith Covel
B. Tobias Keith Covel
C. Tobias Covel Keith
D. Joe Smith
18. Darius Rucker, in a recent CMT Insider interview, recently named the singer who inspired him to a country music career. That singer is:
19. What is Blake Shelton’s middle name?
1. D. His first Oscar.
2. C. Her husband.
3. D. Crazy Heart
4. E. None of the above
5. A. The period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
6. B. Drunk dialing.
7. E. All of the above. He also had his own construction company.
8. E. All of the above
9. C. He introduced them on the Opry.
10. B. Billy Currington
11. B. “Guess Things Happen That Way”
12. C. Electrocution via microphone
13. D. “John Deere Green”
14. A. The Kendalls, B. Joey & Rory, and E. Carl & Pearl Butler
15. A. The Kendalls
16. D. They were originally a trio.
17. A. Toby Keith Covel
18. A. Radney Foster
19. B. Tollison