(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that’s happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
Ever since Blake Shelton‘s team member, Jermaine Paul, won The Voice on Tuesday (May 8), I’ve been watching Shelton’s reaction to all the celebrations. Obviously, he’s had plenty to say via Twitter and various interviews. So I thought it was time to collect his observations from the show and rank them for you to read and possibly have made into some sort of coffee table book.
1. “Unbelievable!!! I just got a cake delivered from the Pope that says ‘God loves @JermainePaul more than other people!'” — A tweet to give followers the false impression that Paul had the papal vote.
2. “Cee Lo! And he loves it when you comment on it, too. It’s like he’s very into his image and all the outfits and stuff. And just so you know there’s smells that he has that goes right along with different colognes, maybe perfume. I don’t know what it is, but you always know when Cee Lo comes in because there’ll be a potpourri smell that hits you that you’ll know he’s there.” — On which coach smells the best.
3. “And rich.” — His response to a tweet that said, “Blake Shelton is so annoying.”
4. “There have been times when we’re live on TV and Carson will ask a direct question to Cee Lo and Cee Lo not even know because he’s texting some girl or playing Angry Birds or something on his phone. It’ll completely just go right over his head.” — On the biggest phone addict among the show’s cast.
5. “You did it!” — Three little words in post-hug congrats to Paul.
6. “Oh, Christina … absolutely no comparison. … Probably because she’s the richest person on Earth, might be why.” — On which coach gives the best gifts. (Wait. There were gifts?)
7. “Have fun and try to win them over, you know? … The scariest and the most memorable times of what they’ll do, I think, are these first couple of years.” — Sage advice to Paul. (Country rookies? Are you listening, too?)
8. “Maybe I should try to remove myself from being so attached, but it’s hard to, you know? Especially whenever you’ve been in the rehearsals with them and you’ve had all these conversations with them that are about why they want to do this and that. And next thing you know, you’re friends with them and you’re talking to them all the time and see them and you want this for them as badly as they do.” — On trying to distance himself from contestants.
9. “This just in from the surgeon general. … Not voting for @JermainePaul causes erectile dysfunction in men ages 1 through 99!!!” — A pre-show tweet to encourage votes.
10. “The good part about it is, they’re all getting so much exposure that they can all go on from the show and be several steps ahead of where they would have been.” — On why all the contestants on the show are really winners.