Artists, label executives and talent managers love to have bragging rights to a No. 1 single. Songwriters and music publishing companies love it, too, but not as much as having the most-played song of the year. That sort of sustained airplay over a long period of time can make a significant difference their royalty checks from the three performance rights organizations — ASCAP, BMI and ASCAP.
Josh Turner ’s “Time Is Love” was a huge hit, although it came one notch short of reaching No. 1. Still, making its chart debut on Jan. 14 and remaining on Billboard’s country airplay tally for 39 weeks, the single from his Punching Bag album topped the trade publication’s year-end list of top country songs for 2012.
As expected, Taylor Swift topped Billboard’s year-end list of country albums and also emerged as the top artist. Notably, Jason Aldean was the only artist to land two albums on the country albums list. Brisk sales continued for 2010’s My Kinda Party to provide the momentum for October’s launch of his latest album, Night Train.
Here’s a list of Billboard’s Top 10 country songs, albums and artists for 2012:
1. “Time Is Love,” Josh Turner
2. “You Don’t Know Her Like I Do,” Brantley Gilbert 3. “Why Ya Wanna,” Jana Kramer 4. “Cowboys and Angels,” Dustin Lynch 5. “(Kissed You) Good Night,” Gloriana 6. “Better Than I Used to Be,” Tim McGraw 7. “Even if It Breaks Your Heart,” Eli Young Band 8. “Lovin’ You Is Fun,” Easton Corbin 9. “Springsteen,” Eric Church 10. “Drunk on You,” Luke Bryan
1. Red, Taylor Swift
2. Tailgates & Tanlines, Luke Bryan
3. Tuskegee, Lionel Richie 4. Own the Night, Lady Antebellum 5. Blown Away, Carrie Underwood 6. My Kinda Party, Jason Aldean
7. Chief, Eric Church
8. Clear as Day, Scotty McCreery 9. Night Train, Jason Aldean
10. Uncaged, Zac Brown Band