(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that’s happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
It’s almost time for all the country stars to hit the red carpet for Wednesday night’s (June 5) CMT Music Awards . And I, for one, cannot wait to see what they’re wearing on their faces. The dresses are cool, but I really love getting an up-close look at whatever makeup trends the women of country are into.
So I asked one of the founders of Too Faced Cosmetics, Jerrod Blandino, what to expect to see on the country stars this year. Blandino is a big fan of classic country and new music from artists such as Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert. And he told me he sees country music as a place where art and fashion and glamour all meet, and that it’s been that way for decades.
“I’ve got some glamour icons I carry with me in my back pocket, and Dolly Parton happens to be my biggest one,” Blandino said. “Country is where glamour came from. If glamour grew anywhere, it came from somewhere in the Smoky Mountains.”
Although Blandino says certain trends are here to stay — nude lips and smoky eyes, especially — he walked me through ways to modernize those looks and more. Follow his advice for a star-worthy look of your own.
1. “You really need to concentrate on your skin. You need to glow. With hi-def cameras everywhere, it’s a new game. You don’t want to see makeup. You want to see luminosity.”
2. “You can layer color on top of anything, but you need to start with a flawless canvas.”
3. “Everyone wants the smoky eye Miranda Lambert does. And her way just radiates from within.”
4. “Don’t match your makeup to the color of your dress but rather to the vibe of your dress. If you are rocking a metallic mini-dress, your makeup should encompass that edgy look with thick lashes and dark eyes.”
5. “Carrie Underwood’s makeup artist inspired the perfect eye. She does the smoky eye in a brown, toasted almond, shimmery cocoa way. It’s a softer, more modern version.”
6. “Pop a shimmer shadow by your tear ducts. Keep the dark smoky liner as close to the lash line as possible, then do a soft color just by those tear ducts.”
7. “The modern way to have a tan is for your skin to look natural. A deep orangey moment is never going to look natural. You want subtle bronze tones, dusted all over, so that it looks transparent and ethereal.”
8. “The perfect nude lip, like Carrie Underwood’s, is always appropriate. I mean, Barbra Streisand’s been wearing it for 30 years. There’s a way of way of doing it right, and there’s a way of doing it wrong. That beautiful pinky beige undertone is always going to work. But the ashy gray weird beige? That’s the wrong way to do it. When it’s right, it’s classic.”