It’s hard not to fall madly in love with Jennifer Lopez, the woman who comes into your house two nights a week on American Idol and holds her own around musical encyclopedia Keith Urban and giggles at everything Harry Connick Jr. says. Oh, and she’s beautiful, too.
So when I saw J-Lo on the cover of InStyle magazine, I had to drop everything and read every word.
When I was done, here’s what I learned and what makes me adore this woman with all my heart:
1. “I’m figuring it out as I go,” Lopez admitted of her busy life as an American Idol judge, a single mom to 6-year-old twins, actress, singer and fashion designer. Aren’t we all — figuring it out, that is? Good for her.
2. Of her upcoming album, she said her message to the world has changed since her first batch of tunes. “I used to be all ’I love you, hearts and flowers,'” she said, “but now it’s ’I love you, but I’m not going to let you take advantage of me.'”
3. “I’m living a much more unscripted life right now than I have in a long time,” she said. In a world of scripted reality, trying for an unscripted one sounds like a much better reality.
4. Lopez is honest about the loneliness she faces. “Look, I don’t love being alone. I don’t. I can’t beat myself up for that.”
5. She is willing to share beauty secrets, beyond just eating healthy, exercising and sleeping well. She drinks detoxifying kombucha tea and uses Dr. Hauschka Skin Care Rose Day Cream.
6. “It was hard not to be happy,” Lopez said about seeing celebs over 40 — Jennifer Aniston, Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock and more — on the covers of women’s magazines.
7. At the cover photo shoot, she “really started grooving” to Jay Z. I’ll bet Beyoncé would love to hear that.
8. Her go-to outfit? “Worn-out boyfriend jeans that hang below the hip bone are my favorite. I feel so me in them,” she said.