I’ve been on four college campuses in the past three days. And while I’ve seen a lot of impressive brick buildings and heard a lot of staggering academic statistics, nothing has stood out to me more than the way the fraternity houses seem to be completely immersed in modern country music. It’s their new brand of frat rock, if you will.
Granted, this is finals week at some of the colleges I’ve been visiting with my son, so some of the students who are finished with their exams are in a spirited state of mind. But even if I couldn’t see that frat-boy frame of mind — watching them play sand volleyball in their front yard, filling a pickup truck bed with water for a makeshift swimming hole or lowering burgers down to their brothers below their second-floor balcony grill — I could hear it. Loud and clear.
Here are the 16 country songs I heard over and over across the Midwest. And this was in broad daylight. God only knows what happened when the sun went down.
1. “Get Your Shine On,”
Florida Georgia Line
2. “Out Last Night,” Kenny Chesney
3. “Cold One,” Eric Church
4. “Drink in My Hand,” Eric Church
5. “Beer Money,” Kip Moore
6. “Parking Lot Party,” Lee Brice
7. “Hicktown,” Jason Aldean
8. “That’s My Kind of Night,” Luke Bryan
9. “This Is How We Roll,” Florida Georgia Line
10. “She’s Country,” Jason Aldean
11. “Pontoon,” Little Big Town
12. “Drivin’ Around Song,” Colt Ford
13. “All Summer Long,” Kid Rock
14. “Whiskey’s Gone,” Zac Brown Band
15. “Old Alabama,” Brad Paisley
16. “Camouflage,” Brad Paisley