The big Taylor Swift news this week is not that she got another kitten . Although it is an adorable kitten named Olivia Benson — after the Law & Order character played by Mariska Hargitay — that makes her about 100 times cuter.
The big news is that she’s been spending her little bit of downtime replying to people who tag her in their Instagram posts.
And isn’t that what social networks were made for? Networking? Socially? It’s not just about fans loving artists. It’s about artists loving fans right back. So it makes sense that Swift would make time for that kind of casual banter that makes her fans feel like her friends. That is her forte.
So if you want to be one of the lucky ones who gets a coveted reply, do yourself a favor and read the tips our friends at MTV.com put together to get you some of that:
1. Share your Swift swag. Concert poster pictures, especially.
2. Take Swift’s side in the ongoing paparazzi battles.
3. Make photo-worthy food like she does.
4. Snap pics of cute animals with Swift swag.
5. Snap pics of cute animals in people clothes.
6. Be yourself. She loves that.
Those are all great suggestions, but I’d like to add a few of my own tips:
7. Don’t swear. Not even the swear words with asterisks. Those fool no one.
8. Don’t overdo it. If it’s meant to be, Swift will see it. But posting a photo or reposting every five minutes is just overkill. Be more chill.
9. Tag @taylorswift. It’s a simple step that some Instagrammers forget to do.
10. Remember that she’s not following you. Swift only follows 17 people on Instagram. So all the more reason for No. 9.