Carrie Underwood will team up with 11 NFL players to perform this year’s version of “Waiting All Day for Sunday Night,” the opening theme for NBC’s Sunday Night Football. The collaboration will debut on Sept. 7.
After making her debut last season, Underwood returns with NBC’s first Sunday Night Football broadcast of the 2014 NFL season as the Denver Broncos host the Indianapolis Colts. Coverage begins with Football Night in America at 7 p.m. ET. The opening theme will continue each week of the season to kick off Sunday Night Football, culminating with a special opening theme for NBC’s broadcast of Super Bowl XLIX on Feb. 1, 2015.
Eleven NFL players, who have accounted for 44 Pro Bowl selections, five Super Bowl rings, three Super Bowl MVP trophies and eight first-round draft picks (five in the top 10), will participate in the open (nine, denoted with an asterisk*, took part in a shoot this past June). Following is the complete list:
• New Orleans Saints TE Jimmy Graham*
• San Francisco 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick*
• Carolina Panthers LB Luke Kuechly*
• New York Giants QB Eli Manning
• Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning
• Chicago Bears WR Brandon Marshall*
• Green Bay Packers LB Clay Matthews*
• Philadelphia Eagles RB LeSean McCoy*
• San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers*
• Denver Broncos DE DeMarcus Ware*
• Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson*
Earlier this summer, NBC Sports Group produced a 2½-minute behind-the-scenes look at the making of this year’s Sunday Night Football open for movie theaters. The cinema spot was viewed on more than 19,000 movie screens nationwide.
“Waiting All Day for Sunday Night” is set to the original Joan Jett song, “I Hate Myself for Loving You.”