But unfortunately, what I also have is a very vivid memory and a tendency to take songs way too literally. So while he currently admits to eating the healthiest diet of his life, this is what I will always picture McGraw eating and drinking.
1. Pimento cheese, Domino’s delivery, whiskey sours, apple pies, and finger lickin’ chicken (“Hard on the Ticker,” 1997)
2. Another supper from a sack (“Where the Green Grass Grows,” 1997)
3. A fried bologna sandwich with mayo and tomato (“Back When,” 2004)
4. A six-pack of beer (“Tickin’ Away,” 2002)
5. A bottle on the dresser by your ring (“Whiskey and You,” 2007)
6. Sweet iced tea (“Southern Voice,” 2009)
8. Supper on the stove (“Meanwhile Back at Mama’s,” 2014)
All of that is well and good for his real life, but I hope McGraw keeps singing about some of the vices he might have in his fridge. I don’t want him to actually start back up on fried bologna sandwiches, but I also don’t ever want to hear a country song about yogurt.