(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that's happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
Photo Credit: traceadkins.com
"Trace kept going, 'When you gonna take that ribbon down?' and I'm like, 'You know, I might need it one day.'" Those are the words of Rhonda Adkins, Trace's wife, who did not cave in and take that yellow ribbon down from a big tree in the front yard of their Nashville home. Thank God she didn't. That ribbon was a lifesaver on Saturday afternoon (June 4) when a dryer in the garage reportedly burst into flames that spread to the attic and the house.
The Adkins' three daughters were home at the time of the fire and followed an emergency plan the family put in place after their girls learned about fire safety programs in school. Now a message on Adkins' website says, "The Adkins family request that you take time to practice Fire Safety drill with your family, learn more at firesafety.gov and firehouse.com."
After a neighbor called, Rhonda told CNN, "She said that the house was on fire and we looked up in the air and we saw the black smoke. And I said, 'Oh my God, this isn't happening, this isn't real." She credits the firefighters who taught her kids about the importance of a plan with saving her kids' lives. She urges everyone to do the same. "Please, everybody, practice fire safety, and back up all your pictures," she said, since her wedding pictures and negatives were lost in the fire.
UPDATED (12:01 p.m.): Fire investigators suspect that an overheated or loose electrical connection in a power strip started the fire, according to The Tennessean. The investigators have concluded that the fire was accidental and electrical in nature.
View photos of the Adkins family home.