(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that's happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
Have you seen Carrie Underwood's new video for
"Blown Away"? The Wizard of Oz, this ain't.
There had been some talk that the tornado-based video would have
all sorts of Auntie Em, Toto, Wicked Witch and Munchkin imagery. And there are a few nuances, like the yellow bricks, that
might have been influenced by the children's book and movie.
But I think that Underwood's video could be darker and
deeper than the 1939 film. The tale that "Blown Away" tells is one of a good girl trying to do good things. But her mean old
mister of father keeps getting in her way. (She doesn't say it in the song, but I'm guessing it was one of his drunken rages
that put her mother in the ground.)
When the tornado sirens start, Underwood tries to wake up her whiskey-soaked dad
to save him. To no avail. She can at least protect herself from the storm, though, so she takes shelter in the cellar. There's
a happy, colorful ending to this story that I won't give away. Watch it and see for yourself how well Underwood does without
a wizard -- or a father -- on her side.
- OFFSTAGE: How Brad Paisley Is Prepping for the Stones
- OFFSTAGE: Carrie Underwood, Six Seconds at a Time
- 2013 CMT Music Awards: All Performers Experience Digital Sales Increase
- 2013 CMA Music Festival: Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley Shine Through Storm Clouds
- OFFSTAGE: Carrie Underwood, Jake Owen Clarify Change of Plans at CMA Music Festival