(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that's happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
Zac Brown made me dinner on Sunday (Sept. 30) night. And his entire band served it to me. Well, me and about a hundred other people. It was at his eat-and-greet in Chicago, right before his show started. I'd never been to one, but I can say this now with absolute certainty. It beats the hell out of a $12 venue hot dog.
Here are the 10 best things Brown, his band and his chef Rusty Hamlin were serving in the amphitheater's tour bus parking lot-turned-dinner-party:
1. Saucy pork tenderloin from a recipe Brown honed when he had his first restaurant
2. Beef filet made with Brown's spice rub
3. Pocketknife slaw, an old family recipe that had been tweaked over time
4. Greek salad with golden zucchini Hamlin bought at a local farmer's market, plus tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and a caper vinaigrette.
5. Spanish creamed corn with spinach and crispy garlic roots
6. Asian char-grilled barbecued cauliflower
7. Collard greens Hamlin had brought up from Georgia
8. A spicy kind of cornbread
9. Chocolate peanut butter biscuit pudding
10. All kinds of Landshark beers and Jack Daniel's