(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that's happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)
Today is that day -- 12/12/12. People are getting married. They are buying lottery tickets. A boy in Alabama is turning 12 at 12:12 p.m., and Pope Benedict XVI sent his first holy tweets to the world. This special day -- predicted to be lucky by people who make their living studying numbers -- is the last triple date like this until 1/1/2101, which is a good 88 years away. So in honor of seeing 12/12/12 on your calendar today, I give you the 12 luckiest things that happened to country music (and me) this year:
1. Kacey Musgraves arrived.
2. Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw toured together.
3. Hunter Hayes got the Grammy nominations he deserved.
4. Keith Urban said yes to American Idol. And he's going to Hollywood.
5. Nashville came to life in Nashville.
6. Lionel Richie hugged me.
7. I spent a day shopping and lunching with the girls of Little Big Town.
8. I had dinner, cooked by Zac Brown, with Zac Brown.
9. Darius Rucker took a liking to Twitter.
10. Blake Shelton never shut up on Twitter.
11. Faith Hill came back.
12. Brad Paisley played Chicago's Wrigley Field.