An Irish concert promoter is being forced to cancel two of Garth Brooks's five upcoming concerts at Dublin's Croke Park stadium following a decision by the Dublin City Council on Thursday (July 3).
Brooks had been scheduled to perform July 25-29 at the 82,000-seat sports stadium, but the council refused to issue licenses for the last two performances because of objections raised by local residents, The Guardian newspaper in London reports.
"The cumulative effect on residents and on some businesses would lead to an unacceptable level of disruption to their lives and livelihoods," the council said in a written statement.
According to the BBC, 373 submissions had been received from residents, residents' groups and local businesses.
No act has ever played five shows in a row at Croke Park, the country's largest venue. A total of 400,000 tickets were sold for Brook's five-night run.
In an interview with RTE News, Ireland's national public service media organization, Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions said Brooks is devastated by the decision and feels it's unfair that 160,000 people will not be able to attend the two shows. Some 70,000 of the 400,000 tickets sold were purchased by fans who live outside Ireland.
Aiken said two shows were initially planned in Dublin. Because of projected ticket demand, it was extended to a five nights with a larger production.
Brooks began a hiatus from touring in 2001 and said he would not embark on a major tour until his youngest daughter graduated from high school. In 2013, he indicated he would launch a world tour this year.
Earlier this week, his official website posted a message saying, "The wait is over ... 7/7," creating speculation he could be announcing the tour on Monday (July 7).