(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)
Test your acumen at recent and not-so-recent country music happenings. If you score between 16 and 20, congratulations! You're a top-level country aficionado. If you get 11 to 15, that's good -- you're paying attention. A score between 6 and 10 -- well, that shows that at least you're trying. And if you land between 1 and 5, you need to dust off your Celine Dion and boy band CDs and quit pretending. Any unfortunate souls hitting zero should ban themselves from this Web site forever. Answers are below.
1. Name at least two winners of Nashville Star.
2. Name at least two winners of American Idol.
3. Who is the current CMA entertainer of the year?.
4. Who is the current ACM entertainer of the year?
5. Name two of the 2008 inductees into the County Music Hall of Fame.
6. Where did Taylor Swift go to high school?
7. Kid Rock has a major country radio hit with the song "All Summer Long" that draws heavily upon two classic rock songs. Name those two songs.
8. Who held the previous world's record for longest line dance before Alan Jackson claimed to break it with his video for "Good Time"? (It's OK to do an Internet search on this one.)
9. Which Little Big Town members are married to each other?
10. Who said, "And I'm sure Johnny Cash would have been a John McCain supporter if he was still around."
11. Who is the only country-charting artist to thus far publicly support Barack Obama?
12. Sara Evans' husband, Jay Barker, is famous in the South for what?
13. Which country artist ran with the bulls this year in Pamplona?
14. Which bluegrass artist opens and closes his current CD with sound clips from former President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "fireside chat" about the Great Depression?
15. Who is suing Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush of Sugarland?
Hall & Oates
16. Which country star has worked out with the New Orleans Saints during training camp the last two years?
17. Don Helms, who recently died, was a member of Hank Williams' original Drifting Cowboys and played on major hits by such other artists as Patsy Cline. What instrument did he play?
18. Shania Twain and her husband "Mutt" Lange separated this year. What is his given name?
19. Kenny Chesney's new single "Everybody Wants to Go To Heaven" was first recorded by a major country star who decided not to include it on his current album. Name that star.
20. Alan Jackson's song "I Still Like Bologna" which, while celebrating the humble bologna sandwich, uses it as a symbol for eroding American values. Name another country song that does the same thing with bologna.
1. Buddy Jewell, Brad Cotter, Erika Jo, Chris Young, Angela Hacker, Melissa Lawson
2. Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Stoddard, Fantasia Barrino, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Jordin Sparks, David Cook
3. Kenny Chesney
4. Kenny Chesney
5. Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, the Statler Brothers, Ernest "Pop" Stoneman
6. At home. She was homeschooled.
7. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"
8. According to the September 2003 Guinness World Records Web site, 12,168 line dancers at the Happy Valley Recreation Ground in Hong Kong on Dec. 29, 2002 danced to "Baby Likes to Rock It" by Hillbilly Rick for 7 minutes and 40 seconds.
9. Karen Fairchild and Jimi Westbrook
10. John Rich
11. Sheryl Crow
12. Quarterbacking the University of Alabama football team
13. Kix Brooks
14. Del McCoury
15. Kristen Hall
16. Kenny Chesney
17. Steel guitar
18. Robert John Lange
19. George Strait
20. "Back When" by Tim McGraw