Follow Chef Loreal Gavin as she serves up delicious farm-to-food truck recipes using locally sourced foods from America’s top urban farms. New recipes will be uploaded weekly through April on CMT’s YouTube channel.
Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Croutons
Total: 30 min
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Yield: 4 large bowls of tomato soup with 1 grilled cheese worth of croutons
4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
4 pounds fresh tomatoes (should be a mix of farm-raised cherry or heirloom varieties)
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pepper (optional)
2 cups balsamic vinegar
2 cups heavy whipping cream or milk substitute such as coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
2 lemons fresh squeezed
Grilled Cheese crouton:
8 slices of bread
3/4 a pound of sliced cheese
2 tablespoons butter
For the Tomato Soup:
Set a deep saucepan or 6-8 quart Dutch oven to medium heat.
Add the butter or olive oil to the hot pan.
Add in the tomatoes a hand full at a time.
With the back of a wooden spoon, muddle and crush the tomatoes as they blister and cook.
Allow the tomatoes to cook until the outside skin starts to fall away and reveal the delicious flesh within.
Now add the water, salt, pepper (optional), cream of choice, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
Cook this mixture down on medium-low heat with the lid on for 20 minutes.
For the Grilled Cheese Croutons:
Add a few pieces of sliced cheese to each piece of your sliced bread.
Put the other separate piece of bread on the tops to make a complete sandwich.
Bring a non-stick sauce pan to medium heat.
Add a fleck of butter to the pan.
Lay the untoasted sandwich into the pan and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side until toasted brown in the hot pan.
Toast both sides and set on a cutting board.
Pour your hot tomato soup into a bowl.
Cut your grilled cheese sandwiches into 1-inch pieces and garnish them atop your hot soup.
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024