Kimberly Kelly takes a nostalgic stroll through ‘90s country and a whole lot of memories with her new song and video, “Summers Like That.”
Written by Karyn Rochelle and Bobby Tomberlin, “Summers Like That” entwines song titles by artists including Deana Carter, Trisha Yearwood, Pam Tillis, Brooks & Dunn and George Strait with pivotal, coming-of-age memories. The video, directed by Tyler Barksdale, marries the present with flashbacks of heartfelt scenes to create a relatable clip that pulls on the heartstrings.
“This video brings my song to life by playing out what young love looks like,” says the Texas-born singer. “Tyler, the director, did an amazing job using subtle imagery that mirrors the song’s lyrics and the story in addition to what the actors are doing. The carnival scene wasn’t planned either — it just happened to be set up nearby the weekend we shot. The carnival alone added a whole other level of charm to the story and song.”
Shooting the video wasn’t without lighthearted moments. Kelly remembers Barksdale’s car battery died at the second location, and she had to give his car a jump. While one of the crew members was under the hood of her car securing the cables, she gave him the fright of his life.
“I honked the horn before he finished unhooking the jump clamps,” Kelly recalls. “I scared the shit out of him, and everybody laughed. He was the quietest all day, and I finally had an opportunity to get a rise out of him.”
Pranks aside, Kelly hopes country music fans can see themselves in the music video.
“I hope it takes them back to their first loves and the summers where you didn’t have a care in the world besides when was the next time you were going to see your boyfriend or girlfriend,” she says. “It was so exciting to really see the song come to life!”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024