Sure, after nearly a decade since its 2012 release, it's impossible to imagine anyone other than Florida Georgia Line's Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard harmonizing that a love they're pining for is like "a song," and makes them "wanna roll [their] windows down." However, in a recent interview for A Taste of Country's "Secret History" series, the song's co-writer Chase Rice noted that, because he was "more established," he wanted Luke Bryan to record the eventual diamond-selling cut.
"I wanted Luke Bryan or somebody big to cut it. And luckily they took it and made it what it was. Because at that time, nobody knew who they were. They know now," he says. Rice adds, "Brian [Kelley] was a huge believer in it. He was like, 'Dude, this is huge, this is monstrous,'" Rice recalls. "I didn't really see it at the time, but I'm glad he did."
At the time of its writing, Luke Bryan was an emerging hitmaker with his single "Drunk On You" both reaching the top of Billboard's Hot Country Charts, plus crossing over into the top-20 of the all-genre Hot 100. Even without the aid of a then-emerging superstar like Bryan, "Cruise" achieved becoming the first-ever diamond-selling country single, plus, two years after its release -- and spurred by a remix featuring Nelly, became -- as of that time -- country music's best-selling digital single in history.
Regarding the song's timelessness, Tyler Hubbard told Billboard the following in a 2017 interview:
"It was the song that jump-started our career and just set so many things in motion -- and a lot of great memories with that song. And I think every night we get to sing it on stage, we kind of re-live those memories and the coming-up years. That represents that for us."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024