In the wake of her critically-acclaimed new The Marfa Tapes album release alongside singer-songwriters Jack Ingram and Jon Randall, Miranda Lambert has added the quarantine-era lament "They've Closed Down The Honky Tonks" -- yet another stripped-down ballad -- to the bunch. The new Lambert song plays in the documentary regarding making the Marfa Tapes album that debuted two weeks ago. The track is featured in the film.
The "Bluebird" vocalist penned the acoustic track in the early months of the pandemic. Lyrics like “No bartenders, no guitars with b-benders/No two-stepping shuffles, no shiny belt buckles,” were influenced by noting venues were potentially facing closure. Famous Texas venues Broken Spoke, Gilley’s, and Billy Bob’s -- where Lambert played sold-out shows in April and May -- were referenced, alongside the reflection, “There ain’t nothin’ sadder than coverin’ Haggard and nobody singin’ along."
The Marfa Tapes project features raw tracks recorded in Marfa, a small town in the West Texas desert. To Rolling Stone, Jack Ingram noted, “The whole idea of the record was trying to show people or let people listen to the moment of creation.“It takes time to record [songs] with a full band, and then we got to do a demo...it’s almost like making a whole movie. And then by the time you get into the studio, with the session band and everybody else, you’re light years away from the moment of inspiration and creation.”
Related to movies, the previously mentioned Marfa Tapes documentary is now currently available to buy or rent on Apple TV.
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024
- Jackson Dean Promises "One Helluva Time" On Headlining Tour, Reveals He's Sequencing New AlbumJackson Dean: "I had a hard time fathoming at 14 years old that I could go and make music on another continent, and people would show up and sing."02/14/2024
- CMT Premiere: Cody Jinks Makes New "Outlaws and Mustangs" Video A Family AffairCody Jinks: "The important things in life show themselves when family is near."02/13/2024