You don't need an anniversary card when you're George Strait.
On Saturday, Strait and his wife Norma marked 50 years of marriage during Strait's residency Strait to Vegas at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
"So I was 19 years old," Strait said from the stage as the camera panned to Norma, who smiled in amusement from her box seat. "And I knew this girl, Norma. She was 17, really hot. So we fell in love."
The crowd exploded in applause.
"We went to Mexico and eloped…50 years ago today," he continued.
Strait dedicated his hit "I Cross My Heart" to his wife, and the audience sang along with every word.
At the end of the song, he pointed and said: "Happy anniversary!"
After the couple eloped, the youngsters returned to Texas and had a church wedding. Then Strait enlisted in the U.S. Army and shipped off to Hawaii, where Norma joined him. Their daughter Jennifer was born about 10 months after the wedding.
Decades later, Strait told "People" that he and Norma still like each other.
"Norma and I are so blessed that we found each other ... and were able to do all of this together, experience this life together, to support each other through everything, good times and bad," he said. "We do almost everything together ... We love each other, and we still like each other. A lot!"
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024