With nearly two dozen global top-ten charting singles, Nelly has as many hits as he has years in the music industry as a recording artist. As famous as he is for soulful, multi-platinum selling 2002-released rap single "Hot in Herre," he may be equally as renowned in many respects for his duet with Tim McGraw for 2004's "Over and Over," plus his appearance on the 2013-released remix of countrified Florida Georgia Line single "Cruise." Having recently partnered with the duo again for fast-rising single "Lil Bit" as the lead-in to a forthcoming EP, the groundbreaking performer offered thoughts on both recently to Music Mayhem.
"When I had met Florida Georgia Line, they had already had success. They were already, you know, pretty big in the country world, I would say," Nelly remembers. The emcee continues, "When we’re having fun when we’re in the studio [and] making music -- because I think we both have an understanding of where we want the music to come from -- and when that aligns, we get things such as 'Cruise' [and] 'Lil Bit,' [plus] a few other songs that we’ve done that we don’t know what we’re gonna do with yet."
Regarding his forthcoming Heartland EP, Nelly offers a fascinating thought on fusing genres. He says, "You have traditional country, but you also have young country, and I don’t think you can find a country artist or a country fan that’s 50 years or younger in age that doesn’t have some affinity or appreciation for hip hop somewhere. They like some hip hop. Even though country music is their heart, they like some hip hop. And I think that energy, that hip hop brings, and that only hip hop brings, is what’s allowing [my blend] right now."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024