Jackson Dean's been described previously as a performer who does not rest his singer-songwriter credibility on cliches or bloated bravado, resulting in a kind of music that’s "rough on the outside, seeking when you listen and grounded in real instruments played with a sense of purpose." On his latest single, "Wings," these apparent notions create a powerful, anthemic ballad.
"'Wings' is slick and dreamy, but where the song comes from is really rough and organic in a way. It comes from tangible things that the lighting and video captured perfectly," says Dean to CMT. Regarding the shooting of the track's video, he adds, with a touch of humor, "it was one of the first times it reminded me that I am a recording artist, and this set and crew are here because of me. It's pretty funny to look back and remember walking in looking half homeless with things falling out of my pockets. I was wearing a jean jacket my bother gave me that he wore around the world, and we decided to incorporate it into the set. After being poked and prodded, they pulled some nose hairs and I sat down a well-groomed dude and did what I do."
Related to the clip, Dean offers a call to do something more than sit and watch his new video. As well, his statement includes something related to how to best engage with his new music:
"This is not your average country music," he says. "This is something different to take people somewhere they ain't never before, and they've got to see it live."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024