Soulful, rootsy singer-songwriter Valerie June's "Smile" is a jazzy, poppy tune aimed at highlighting the Memphis-based artist's optimistic, positive outlook on activism, centered on the idea that -- as she tells CMT -- "joy and hope are inner treasures that can never be taken from us unless we allow them to be." The song's video, directed by Laura Matula, is a sweeping homage to this vision.
"The video starts with me joyfully entering the diner to work. Everyone is in a low-energy, frozen mood. As the song blares on, I dance around the room igniting and awakening the inner joy and light of each person I see," June says. "By the end of the video, the smiles and exuberance are so contagious that we are all transported into dance scenes of wonder and bliss! Just getting down like we're dancing with the stars!!!"
Even deeper, the clip's elaborate choreography ("playful enough for anyone glued to the screens at home to bounce along to") and eye for 80s era fashion were also notable. June makes a particular note of one unique wardrobe piece and aesthetic achievement of the video, though:
"By far my favorite part, though was the wig that Marissa Jackson made that could fit over my HUGE locks! I've wanted a wig like this ever since I did my New York Times photoshoot with the gorgeous, Lelanie Foster. We were really able to bring out the vibes of 80s Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and so many other beautiful iconic superstars."
Overall, June has a particularly poignant takeaway from the video. "It's ok to remember that sometimes all we can do is smile, knowing that our smile is lifting others up and transforming the hearts of those we've never even spoken one word to."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024