"The Voice" alum Valerie Ponzio is taking fans on a colorful, nostalgic and culture-rich tour of her hometown of El Paso, Texas, in her new music video for "Just a Bordertown."
"This music video really captures the character and beauty of the special little bordertown I'm from," Ponzio said. "(It showcases) the family, the traditions, the culture, the landscape that are so dear to me. I desperately wanted to convey that visually to people, and I really feel that it takes you to this part of the world that shaped and made me who I am today."
In the video, Ponzio and her grandmother visit the gorgeous, intricately painted church where her grandmother married her grandfather. Then the women walked through a little neighborhood and her grandmother told her stories about growing up in the same town.
"She told me about some flowers she picked outside of a house near the corner grocery store and how she ran home to give them to her mom," Ponzio said. "Her mom felt bad that she got them from someone else's yard but was ultimately so happy to get them. It was such a beautiful memory for. I loved walking with her and soaking in all the essence of where she grew up in El Paso."
While Ponzio's career has carried her far away from El Paso – to "The Voice" and to Nashville, Tennessee – she can't wait to introduce her hometown to viewers.
"I hope fans will not only see the beauty, heart and pride I have in my dusty bordertown I'm from but will also capture that same sentiment for the hometowns they're from as well," she said. "I felt so happy and excited to be able to share this beautiful story and imagery that is so deeply part of me and my story with the world."
Ponzio is part of the inaugural class of CMT and mtheory's Equal Access program. She is dedicated to broadening the boundaries of country music and helping pave the way into the genre for other Latin artists.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024