Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Celebrity Fight Night
Kenny Rogers received his long-overdue celebration of life this weekend when two years after his passing, his friends and family were finally able to gather for a memorial service, according to a statement from the singer’s publicist.
“The Gambler” singer died peacefully at home surrounded by close family members on March 20, 2020, and the Covid-19 pandemic prevented a proper memorial service until now. On the second anniversary of his death, a small group of friends and family gathered at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia, Rogers’ adopted hometown, to pay their respects.
Frequent touring partners Linda Davis and Billy Dean hosted the outdoor ceremony on the cemetery’s grounds and welcomed more than 15 speakers - including Don Schlitz who wrote "The Gambler" - who shared stories about the singer’s life.
Photo By Ben Gray
Dr. T. Lynn Smith and Friendsgospel choir closed the event with “Amazing Grace” in addition to a recorded vocal performance of Rogers singing “Will The Circle Be Unbroken.”
Rogers’ service ended with an Irish sendoff by Brigadier General (Ret.) Richard McPhee.
A reception followed where a new lyric video for Rogers’ song “Goodbye” was revealed.
The singer’s family invited his fans to visit his final resting place at the Oakland Cemetery, located at 248 Oakland Ave, SE in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024