At their farm outside Nashville, Chris Stapleton and his wife Morgane gave a sit-down interview with the Today show's Willie Geist to chronicle Stapleton's rise to prominence and discuss Stapleton's new album From A Room: Volume 2.
Stapleton's wife of 10 years, Morgane, said she always knew her husband was "a very bright star."
"It's been very satisfying to see the world wake up," she said, "Whatever makeup he has for writing a song or singing a song or playing a show, it takes him over, and it's him completely. And it outshines the sun in a lot of ways to me."
The conversation about From A Room: Volume 2 was quick with Stapleton exclaiming it's some of his hopeful songs to date. Over the weekend (Dec. 2-3), the collection topped iTunes' all-genre albums chart, out-ranking U2's Songs of Experience and Taylor Swift's reputation.
When Geist asked about his reaction to the news that his wife was pregnant with twins, Stapleton revealed he giggled for approximately 20 minutes.
"I didn't know what else to do," he admitted. "I was in shock."
For all the awards and accolades Stapleton has received through the years, he said the highest compliment he's ever received is praise from his father, who worked as a coal miner. His father's death in 2013 served as the initial inspiration behind his multi-platinum debut Traveller.
"At the time, he had Alan Jackson's Greatest Hits in his CD player for a long time. So when he removed Alan Jackson and put me in, that was the highest compliment he could have given for sure."
Stapleton heads to the 60th annual Grammy Awards in January as the lead country nominee. He's nominated for three awards including best country album for From A Room: Volume 1
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024