Mickey Guyton and newcomer Breland offered an updated version of his hit “Cross Country,” blending elements of jangly acoustic country, and pop with lyrics that tell the story of someone determined to chase their dreams, no matter where that takes him.
I'm going cross country/I won't stop running 'til I find where I belong/I'm going cross country/Know they might judge me, I ain't gotta prove 'em wrong, they harmonize on the chorus, with Guyton’s strong, commanding voice a perfect foil to Breland's driving lyrics. On the second verse of the joyous performance, Guyton proves she can infuse softer vocals with as much meaning and beauty as she does on her more soaring, powerful songs.
Breland previously earned a Platinum-selling hit with “My Truck,” while Guyton released one of the best musical projects of 2020, with her EP Bridges. The EP featured both “What Are You Gonna Tell Her?,” which takes a stark look at the lies society tells young girls, as well as her breakthrough single “Black Like Me,” which details her own story, including her experiences with racial injustice.
Breland recently teamed with Keith Urban for a new track, “Out The Cage,” while Guyton is set to release her full-length debut album, Remember Her Name, later this year.
Hosted by superstars Kelsea Ballerini and Kane Brown, the 2021 “CMT Music Awards” airs Wednesday, June 9th at 8p/7c on CMT, MTV, MTV2, Logo, Paramount Network, TV Land and CMT Australia.
- CMT Roundup: New Music from Keith Urban, Jenna Paulette, Scotty McCreery and moreFind this week's newest country songs on CMT's Roundup playlist.03/01/2024
- Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson Talk Grit, Friendship And The Importance Of FamilyJelly Roll: “Life ain't about what you do; it's about who you do it with."02/28/2024
- Kelsea Ballerini To Return As Host For CMT Music AwardsThe 2024 CMT MUSIC AWARDS will air April 7 (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network.02/27/2024
- CMT Next Up Now: Scoot Teasley Sings About Moving On In "This Truck Still Misses You"Scoot Teasley: "The video and the song have a lot of moments in it that are fueled by emotions, and I hope that gets translated and accepted well."02/27/2024
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024