In a recent interview in The New Yorker, Mickey Guyton revealed that her hotly anticipated debut country album -- coming this fall, no official release date as of yet -- would be entitled Remember Her Name. When asked to describe the album's inspirations, the "Black Like Me" vocalist named many people, places, and things, plus an intriguing person: former First Lady Michelle Obama.
“This is a little dramatic, but I feel like it’s a ‘Becoming,’ like Michelle Obama,” she said, referencing Obama's 2018 New York Times best-selling memoir. “It’s every experience that I went through during the ten years that I was in Nashville. It’s a closing of this chapter of my life.” As well, the interview's author, Amanda Petrusich, notes that “pedal steel, Guyton’s Texas drawl, recollections of church pews and dance floors and Friday-night football” are also prominent features on yet-to-be-released album productions.
Regarding her apprehension to mirror current country trends of crossing into pop-friendly styles, Guyton says, “I wanted this opportunity so badly that I was ready to do whatever it took. But every time I turned something in—‘No, that sounds too pop.’ I was trying to figure it out. You want me to put a fiddle on this song? Twang it out more? What do you want? Meanwhile, I’m watching the whole industry put out records that had all these R&B cadences, these R&B phrases.”
If wanting to see Guyton perform before the release of her album release, she will be performing alongside both BRELAND and Gladys Knight at the 2021 CMT Music Awards, Wednesday, June 9 at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT airing on CMT, MTV, MTV2, Logo, Paramount Network, and TV Land.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024