“I’ve been a fan of Reba since I was a little girl. Her voice has always felt nostalgic for me. Even as an adult, there’s something about her tone and her storytelling that just feels like home," said Kelly Clarkson before performing a "Kellyoke" version of Reba McEntire's September 1984-released single "How Blue."
The former American Idol winner's frequent cover performances have become a quarantine highlight of her talk program. However, there's something particularly connective to Clarkson's past in her cover of the "Whoever's In New England" singer's catalog.
Clarkson and McEntire are already frequent collaborators and also have referred to their "big [fandom]" of each other during frequent tandem performances including a 2007 duet of Clarkson's song "Because of You." Moreover -- as Clarkson noted after her show performance -- she grew close to McEntire because of her ex-husband, Brandon Blackstock's father, musician Narvel Blackstock, who at the time of Clarkson's marriage, was still married to McEntire.
“Sometimes when we meet our heroes, it doesn’t always pan out how you hope. But meeting Reba — being friends with her, and eventually becoming family — has been one of the highlights of my life, truly," Clarkson said. "So thank you so much for listening to me vent as an artist. Thank you so much for comforting me on the phone through my tears, like a friend. And thank you for being a really rad grandma for my kids."
As far as other Clarkson quarantine performances on her talk show -- including artists as diverse as R & B star Monica, folk-rockers Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and more -- click here to visit Clarkson's talk show's Youtube channel.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024