Country-pop singer Fancy Hagood transports fans to an alternate universe with Kacey Musgraves in their recently (June 28) released single, "Blue Dream Baby." In honor of pride month, the queer musician and LGBTQ+ ally dropped an out-of-this-world music video featuring "gayliens" and Musgraves' alter ego "Spacey Kacey."
Throughout the seventies-inspired clip – Hagood debates whether or not he's dreaming, as he heads up to space with handsome martians. Before breaking into the chorus, the Nashville-based artist finds himself shocked to see Musgraves on the UFO. The two show off their soothing vocals at a groovy disco.
"My blue dream baby, driving me crazy | Got my mood ring changing indigo to navy | Like I'm out of body, like there's nobody on the dance floor," they sing for a rowdy crowd of animated aliens. "And I know what I know and I feel what I feel | And I just gotta know if the feeling is real|Or just a blue dream baby."
Although Hagood and the GRAMMY Award winning singer are good friends, the trippy track serves as their first collaboration together. The artist best known for his hit 2015 hit "Goodbye," penned the single alongside Little Big Town's Karen Fairchild and critically acclaimed songwriter Alysa Vanderheym.
"I want to thank @spaceykacey for being the sexiest cartoon I've ever seen and for throwing down on the track! It's a dream come true when you get to put magic out into the world…but to get to do it with one of your besties is just next level of special I could stay high on!" wrote the fast-rising artist on Instagram.
Hagood continued to point out Musgraves' ongoing contributions to the LGBTQ+ community and how she played a role in making the country music space more inclusive.
"Kacey is such a trailblazer and has created so much room in this town [Nashville] for queer expression and art. I have felt the effects of the change she has helped create not only in my career, but in my personal life as well. Kacey made me feel seen long before we were friends, and I'm so honored to share a track with such a legend," he added.
Hagood said the collaboration did not come out of left field, as he often bounces ideas off of Musgraves.
"Kacey and I share stuff we've written from time to time with each other," he shared in a statement upon release. "but it was actually her boyfriend who heard 'Blue Dream Baby' first. He told her about it, and later that night, she and I were texting, when she asked to hear it. To my absolute amazement, she was super into it, and the rest is history. I'm still pinching myself that I get to put out a song in the world with someone who is not only one of my favorite artists, but also one of my closest friends. It doesn't get any more special than this."
- CMT Roundup: New Music from Keith Urban, Jenna Paulette, Scotty McCreery and moreFind this week's newest country songs on CMT's Roundup playlist.03/01/2024
- Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson Talk Grit, Friendship And The Importance Of FamilyJelly Roll: “Life ain't about what you do; it's about who you do it with."02/28/2024
- Kelsea Ballerini To Return As Host For CMT Music AwardsThe 2024 CMT MUSIC AWARDS will air April 7 (8:00-11:00 PM, live ET/delayed PT) on the CBS Television Network.02/27/2024
- CMT Next Up Now: Scoot Teasley Sings About Moving On In "This Truck Still Misses You"Scoot Teasley: "The video and the song have a lot of moments in it that are fueled by emotions, and I hope that gets translated and accepted well."02/27/2024
- Denitia Talks Country Music, Is Excited to "Help Move It Forward"Denitia wants to weave elements of '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s country music into her story and hopes to connect with people by being her authentic self.02/26/2024
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024