Over Independence Day Weekend, Chris Young welcomed thousands of music lovers for an outdoor performance in downtown Nashville as part of the making of the video for his song "At the End of a Bar." Young recently told PEOPLE he was blown away by the attendance--while Young thought perhaps 1,500 people might attend, when showtime came, 15,000 people were there for the concert. Young also welcomed his collaborator on the track, Mitchell Tenpenny, for the outdoor concert that is seen in the song's video.
"We started taping in the afternoon, and we knew this was a song no one knew, so we were like, 'Hey, pretend like you're really excited,'" Young, 36, told PEOPLE of the video shoot. "By the second playthrough, the crowd was just screaming the words to the song. And there's nothing like that."
"I was just so blown away on the very first take," Tenpenny said of the performance. "I remember Chris and I turned and looked at each other after that last lyric and we just smiled. We were like, 'What is going on? What the hell is going on? This is crazy!'"
As it turns out, Young and Tenpenny also got an assist in making the video from another country performer: Brad Paisley.
"I don't think we shoot this video the same way without him," Young said, noting that Paisley allowed them to use the outdoor stage and equipment that Paisley had used just the night before. "The city of Nashville and Brad were like, 'Yeah, we'll leave our stuff up there. You can use it. And then we'll just tear it down after y'all film.' That scale of shot does not happen without the city of Nashville being as amazing as they were. And with Brad being able to donate that stuff and let us just use it? Everything fell into place perfectly," Young said.
See the "At the End of a Bar" video below:
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024