Bailey Zimmerman has much to celebrate - nearly 2 billion global streams, a six-week No. 1 single with "Rock And A Hard Place," he recently released his first album, "Religiously," and the music video debut of the album's namesake track happened today.
However, fans who watch the "Religiously" video may not believe Zimmerman is happy.
"This video brings ('Religiously') to life by putting my real life into the music video," Zimmerman said. "I truly love being on stage. But then, when I get off, I do think about her and what could have been. I think about a lot of things. The music video really relates to my real life."
The song's lyrics include: Now I'm in this cold bright light| And this don't even feel like life| 'Cause I don't have the only woman who believed in me| Religiously
The Illinois native said he had "the best day" filming the video because he was surrounded by his family, friends and team, who are with him daily. He hopes fans who watch the video don't feel alone in their brokenhearted state.
"The one thing I hope fans take away from this video is that everybody goes through heartbreak," he said. "It sucks at the time, but you're going to think about them, and you're going to think about what could have been. But man, what happens happens. And everything happens for a reason. I just hope (they) take that from it."
CMT is home to the "Religiously" video telecast premiere and showcased the clip on its Time Square billboard.
Zimmerman co-wrote 11 of the 16 songs on the album, including "Religiously." He told "Today's Country Radio with Kelleigh Bannen" that it's a sad album, but thankfully, he isn't in that headspace anymore.
"It's back when I was really sad every day and crying every day," he explained. "That's why there's tears on the album cover. Because honestly, when I went through what I went through, I was crying a bunch because I couldn't believe how much love I gave, and then that happened in return. And that may not be the thing to say, but I did. I remember crying a lot. That's crazy how somebody you thought really loved you can turn like that and do something so whack."
Zimmerman said he doesn't talk about the breakup on the album because he doesn't see the point. But everything song included he included on the album represents something he lived.
"The feelings and all the songs, I've been there before, and I will never sing about something I don't know," he said. "If I don't know that feeling or that message of the song, then I'm not going to sing it. So that's why I try to say that at every show is like, 'For those out there that are crying and letting go tonight and really sad right now, just know that I've been there. I'm not there now; I'm really happy. But I've been where you're at, and there's a reason I'm singing the songs I'm singing is because I've been through every single thing that you're going through.'"
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024