Sara Evans' estranged husband Jay Barker evaded jail time this week for a charge of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon from a January incident where he was arrested on charges that he'd tried to ram a car Evans was riding in with his car.
According to The Tennessean, Barker pleaded guilty to a lesser charge -- misdemeanor reckless endangerment.
The outlet reported that Steve Hayslip, spokesman for Davidson County District Attorney Glenn Funk's office, said Barker entered a "best interest plea," which means he did not acknowledge guilt but understood prosecutors had enough evidence against him to show probable cause in the case.
The former Alabama quarterback must complete a 26-week-long Batterer's Intervention Program and was ordered to give up any weapons he may own. He was sentenced to 11 months and 29 days of probation.
Barker, who has been married to Evans since 2008, was separated from his wife in April 2021 and is in the midst of a divorce. It isn't known if the divorce is final.
According to the court documents from January 15, an officer was dispatched to Evans' home at 1:30 a.m. for a domestic disturbance. The victim said she was attending a party at a neighbor's house and got into the passenger side of a vehicle when the party ended to ride across the street to her home. As the vehicle crossed the street and pulled into her driveway, Barker put his vehicle in reverse and attempted to hit the car the victim was in at a high rate of speed.
Barker missed and drove away.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024