Brett Eldredge surprised country music fans Friday morning by releasing his sentimental new song “Want That Back” and its nostalgic, official music video.
Eldredge wrote the song about yearning for simpler times with Scooter Carusoe. Reid Long directed its accompanying clip that follows a group of young friends who bury a time capsule and return as adults to dig it up. The video made its broadcast premiere on CMT, CMT Music and ViacomCBS Times Square Billboards Friday morning.
“I woke up at 3:33 one night and was feeling the weight of everything going on in the world,” Eldredge said in a statement. “From the pandemic to the hate and the violence - all these different things made me crave the pure and simple parts of life that I miss. I was looking for comfort in these moments that I feel bring purpose into my life. It was just such a powerful feeling that overtook me, and I couldn’t go back to sleep until I wrote the whole chorus.”
The lyrics to the chorus are:
The smell of old wood bleachers and the word of hometown preachers| Being rich with her and a cheap six pack| The shine of a new summer| Barefoot baseball with my brother| First-time freedom with the windows cracked| I want that back.
But the song’s timely poignance lies in its verses. Eldredge incorporated the weight he felt that kept him awake that night. He opens with the song with the line: You can have the small talk| You can have the hate.
“Want That Back,” produced by Mark Trussell, is the second new song Eldredge has shared in less than one month. He released “Holy Water” on Christmas Eve, a track he said “represents the cleansing of the spirit.”
“You can find it in ways by recognizing the love for yourself, for being there for yourself, and protecting that inner child,” Eldredge said. “This is a huge power that we all have, and it exists deep down in our hearts.”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024