Aside from being her star-making year, 2021 also saw Mickey Guyton finally achieve unprecedented levels of personal peace and joy from her career. In her debut album "Remember Her Name," which includes profoundly personal tracks like "Love My Hair," she completed the deeper work of holistic calm that highly personalized songwriting so frequently offers country stars.
Upon being shown a video of her recent CMA Awards performance, of her album track "Love My Hair" alongside Brittney Spencer and Madeline Edwards during a recent ABC appearance, she stated, "That moment was just so beautiful. I felt such love at that moment for these two women."
The song bittersweetly melds the trauma felt by Guyton with the story of Louisiana-based elementary school student Faith Fennidy, who was publicly humiliated by her teacher for wearing box braid hair extensions — an unknown (and antiquated) violation of the school's dress code. The song itself -- like much of her late September-released album -- is a triumph as much for Guyton as an artist finally releasing a mainstream album after being label-signed for over a decade as it is for Guyton as a self-conscious human being.
"I've gone through a lot in learning how to accept and love myself," Guyton noted. "[Related], I [also] have a really hard time talking about my feelings. A lot of times [in learning how to love myself], music was healing for me. I learned to love myself [by putting that emotion] into songs because they put my feelings into words," she said.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024