While on the 2021 CMT Music Awards red carpet and asked, truthfully, what the hottest song was playing in his house right now was, the artist who just released his EP Country Again: Side A noted something directly in line with being a parent of three daughters all under the age of six:
"Keeping it completely honest? Well, it'd have to be "You're Welcome," from the [2016-released Disney animated film] Moana soundtrack." In breaking down how the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson-voiced lead character's playfully boastful ballad -- and other childlike hits -- have expanded his lyrical and sonic palette, the "To The Guys Who Date My Girls" singer offers fascinating insights.
"It makes me a creative writer. If I only listened to what was happening on country radio right now, I might just keep writing the same thing. But when I hear the Frozen or Coco soundtracks, I get weird inspiration from them. I think that the wider you let your brain [be expanded], the farther you can expand your own genre. In general, watching my kids be hilarious and cute and living life while hearing those songs has given me so many ideas."
Also, regarding his maturation from being a young country artist to a soon-to-be-father of four, Rhett adds, "Life looks a lot different these days. Before I had kids, me and the band would play golf and crack a cold beer at 5:30 p.m. in the afternoon. Now, I'm putting kids to sleep in a bunk on the bus at 8 p.m., then going to play a concert. I can still turn on [my youth] if I have to, but I've definitely matured."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024