Chris Young has 12 No. 1 hits to his credit, along with three Country Music Association nominations, membership in the Grand Ole Opry, and two Grammy nominations. He recently released his eighth studio album, Famous Friends, spearheaded by the title track, a collaboration with Kane Brown which has become a multi-week chart-topping hit.
But growing up in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, just outside of Nashville, Young spent plenty of days as a teenager playing for tips and working hard to grow his audience--and he knows well the importance of encouraging others who are chasing their dreams. Young recently teamed with TikTok influencer Lexy Lately to give back to two Nashville musicians. Influencer Lately often accepts Venmo contributions from her TikTok followers, and then uses the donations to surprise people with hefty tips.
"I know a lot of people have that dream. I've been blessed so much in my career. We're going to go find somebody playing music and bless them today," Young said in a recent TikTok video with Lately.
As Young and Lately joined forces to surprise two unsuspecting musicians performing at a local Music City venue, Lately started off by putting $1,000 in the performers' tip jar. She also introduced herself and told them about the donations from her TikTok followers that helped facilitate the large tip.
Lately then further surprised the two musicians by bringing out Young to meet them. Young greeted the performers and matched Lately's tip, bringing the total to $2,000.
“This is what it’s all about right here in Nashville, and these guys sound absolutely amazing,” Young said to the attendees in the audience. Not only did Young leave them with a hefty tip, he put his musical talent to work by joining them onstage to perform his recent chart-topper, "Famous Friends."
Watch Young and Lately surprise the two unsuspecting performers below:
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024