In honor of the Fourth of July, Lady A’s Charles Kelley recently ( June 27) caught up with Big Machine Label Group to dish on his favorite holiday festivities and to share a song he plays on repeat throughout the summer day.
“It’s a great celebration and reminder of this great country we get to live in,” Kelley pointed out to BMLG. “And every time I think of Fourth of July, all I can think of is Lee Greenwood. I don’t know why, ‘Proud To Be An American.’”
Greenwood is the singer-songwriter behind “God Bless The U.S.A.” The anthem is also well-known as “Proud To Be An American,” which lives on his 1984 record “You’ve Got a Good Love Comin'.” Upon release, the patriotic hymn reached No.7 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart and was played at the 1984 Republican National Convention with President Ronald Reagan. The track received worldwide recognition during the Gulf War, and the hitmaker re-recorded the single for his 1992 album, “American Patriot.” “Proud To Be An American” scored a spot on the charts again after the devastating September 11 terrorist attacks.
“It’s like always right when you say it, I smell barbecue and I’m hearin’ Lee Greenwood over and over and over,” he said while laughing.
Lead vocalist Hillary Scott chimed in to mention that Fourth of July wouldn’t be complete without “fireworks.”
When Kelley isn’t singing along to “Proud To Be An American,” he will be blasting their new poolside single, “Summer State of Mind.” Scott penned the breezy bop alongside bandmate Dave Haywood, Sam Ellis, and critically acclaimed songsmith Laura Veltz. The group compares a romantic relationship to a beautiful summer day throughout the mid-tempo melody, that also displays their award-winning harmonies.
To go along with the radio-ready single, Lady A released a fun-filled music video that will encourage any country fan to book a tropical getaway or schedule a day off. The three-minute clip features the multi-platinum artists enjoying sunny California. As Kelley shows off his bocci skills and Haywood rides around on a colorful bicycle, Scott embraces the beaming sun on a pink flamingo float.
“I’m the ice, you’re the Yeti | I’m the boat, steady oh, you’re the Petty | I’mn the dance floor, you’re confetti | Always up when I’m down, always ready | You can take a worry, flip that into a song | I don’t even notice till I’m singing along |I forget that there was ever anything wrong |How do you do it babe?” sings Kelley while rocking a sharp pair of aviators.
“Summer State Of Mind” serves as a sneak peek into Lady A’s new way of releasing music. The harmony-driven trio warned the country community that more original material is on the horizon. They said they are “determined” to share fresh tracks whenever the “spirit moves them.”
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024