"Damn Strait" just became McCreery's fifth No. 1 hit and a two-week chart-topper on Billboard's Country Airplay chart.
McCreery is the first artist in the history of Triple Tigers Records to score five consecutive No. 1 hits.
"This song is such a great tribute to one of my musical heroes, George Strait, while also using his song titles in a clever way to tell such a heartbreaking story. I've loved it from the moment I first heard it," said McCreery. "It is one of my favorite songs that I've recorded, and the fans love it in concert as well. You can feel the anticipation in the air as they get ready to sing along on the chorus."
Trent Tomlinson and Jim Collins wrote "Damn Strait," which name drops George Strait songs throughout.
"Damn Strait" is McCreery's fastest climbing song on country radio charts since "Love You This Big" immediately following his "American Idol" win a decade ago.
"He's the King of Country Music," McCreery said of Strait. "Hopefully, he enjoys this one if he hears it because I sure love singing it. It's an ode to him all about (his) classic country heartbreak songs. I'm sure he's heard tribute songs before. For me, what's not to love? He's the King. I sure hope he likes it."
McCreery is about to have more on his plate than a No. 1 song. The singer and his wife Gabi are expecting their first baby – a son – this fall.
The country singer told People he was looking forward to being a boy dad.
"I was the only boy on both sides of my family, the last McCreery boy out there," Scotty said. "Gabi's from two sisters in her family, so I just figured it would be a girl. But we got a surprise of a boy."
Now, McCreery can't wait to teach his son all about sports.
"I grew up playing sports, so getting to introduce him to baseball, which was my first love right there with music, and golf are just little things that [will be great]."
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024