As we prepare for the Sept. 24 release of Mickey Guyton's debut album Remember Her Name, her decade-plus long rise to country acclaim continues to be a story at the top of country's headlines. However, in the midst of that rise -- as we learn via the latest edition of CMT's "Probably Shouldn't Tell You This" digital series, the "Black Like Me" single tells a wild story about a once-in-a-lifetime run-in with a legendary celebrity superstar.
"Prince, y'all," she excitedly exclaims in the two-minute clip, noting who the celebrity in question in the story would be. While spending time in Hollywood with a friend she describes as "beautiful" who was incidentally dating "The Purple One." They attended a nightclub one evening, and because of a "crime scene," the two could not access their automobile afterward. "So she called Prince to pick us up," Guyton continues, highlighting that he did -- in expected grandiose style from the "Purple Rain" vocalist, in a white stretch limousine.
The big punchline of the clip is Guyton explaining how she and her friend were whisked "upstairs or downstairs (she's not sure)" in a velvet-lined elevator to a ballroom outfitted with a Rhodes piano, drumkit, and microphone. Not shying away from the situation, Guyton -- after misplaying the drums -- approached the mic while Prince was at the piano and sang Aretha Franklin's legendary hit "Natural Woman." Prince, according to Guyton, was awed by the performance.
Aside from blowing away an iconic performer with her outstanding vocal instrument, Guyton has recently released the title track from her debut album, which is available for pre-order by clicking here.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024