Dolly Parton is going into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame whether she likes it or not.
Although she requested to "respectfully bow out" of consideration for the prestigious honor, Wednesday, it was announced that Parton would join Eminem, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, and Pat Benatar as the Rock Hall's 2022 inductees.
More than 1,000 artists, historians, and music industry professionals voted on the honorees who John Sykes, the chairman of the Rock Hall, said in a statement, "each had a profound impact on the sound of youth culture and helped change the course of rock' n' roll."
In March, Parton said she was flattered and grateful to be nominated for the honor but didn't believe she had "earned that right."
"I really do not want votes to be split because of me," Parton said. "I do hope that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will understand and be willing to consider me again - if I'm ever worthy."
Citing that ballots had already been sent to voters, the Rock Hall refused to remove Parton from contention and explained that it was "not defined by any one genre."
Last week Parton told NPR that she would accept the induction if she were voted in.
"It was always my belief that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was for the people in rock music, and I have found out lately that it's not necessarily that," she said. "If (rock artists) can't go there to be recognized, where do they go? So I just felt like I would be taking away from someone that maybe deserved it, certainly more than me, because I never considered myself a rock artist."
Artists become eligible for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording.
Parton was one of 17 nominees for this year's Rock Hall in February alongside Beck, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, DEVO, Duran Duran, Eminem, Eurythmics, Judas Priest, Fela Kuti, MC5, New York Dolls, Rage Against The Machine, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, A Tribe Called Quest and Dionne Warwick.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024