Country music star Toby Keith has been diagnosed with stomach cancer.
The multi-platinum artist took to social media Sunday (June 12) afternoon to break the news that he has been battling stomach cancer. For approximately six months, the “Should’ve Been A Cowboy” singer has endured chemotherapy, radiation, and surgical treatments.
“Last fall I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I’ve spent the last 6 months receiving chemo, radiation, and surgery,” he wrote on Instagram. “So far, so good. I need time to breathe, recover and relax.”
While prioritizing his health, Keith hopes to spend quality time with close friends and family.
“I am looking forward to spending this time with my family,” he shared. “But I will see the fans sooner than later. I can’t wait. – T.”
According to the Mayo Clinic, stomach cancer is an “abnormal growth of cells that begins in the stomach.” The illness is also known as “gastric cancer,” and can affect several parts of the stomach as well. Some of the symptoms include – heartburn, nausea, stomach pain, difficulty swallowing, bloating, etc.
Keith is slated to perform at a string of summer festivals, including the upcoming 2022 Ribfest in Wheaton, IL, on June 17. The Ohio State Fair has announced that his concert on July 28 has been canceled, and ticket-holders will receive a refund. The chart-topping artist has not confirmed if he will continue on with the scheduled dates.
The hitmaker recently held his 19th Annual Toby Keith and Friends Golf Classic in Oklahoma. The golf outing raised more than $1,380,000 for OK Kids Korral, Keith’s foundation that helps children with cancer. The nonprofit provides a convenient and cost-free home away from home for families with kids receiving treatment at OU Medical Center.
CMT will be following this developing story and will provide updates in a timely manner.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024