Four of CMT's favorite Next Women of Country grabbed their guitars and gathered around a campfire recently for a Christmas episode of "CMT Campfire Sessions."
Tenille Townes, Priscilla Block, Caitlyn Smith and Brittney Spencer met at a house outside of Nashville and let the TV cameras fade into the background as they shared their favorite Christmas traditions, what's on their Christmas lists and their favorite holiday songs.
"We were just laughing around in a campfire," Townes explained. "It was freezing cold, which I think all added to the experience. It felt more like home to me and the way that we gather around a campfire. I just felt very present in the music. It felt like I just got to hear my friends sing, and I loved it."
The women sang a mix of traditional carols and original Christmas songs. Townes opened with "Christmas Cards," which she wrote with Brandy Clark and Luke Dick.
"It's a song about how you lose touch with people that come in and out of different seasons in your life, but you kind of hear from them over the holidays and get a little card in the mail," she said. "I always love sending out Christmas cards, too."
Townes described it as sentimental and nostalgic and said she also sang a jazzy version of "The Christmas Song" and that all the women came together for "Silent Night."
"It was one of those things that got sent out just before the shoot," she said. "It was like, 'Hey, have "Silent Night" in your back pocket, and we'll try singing it all together.'"
Townes said the women ran through the song one time before filming and that everyone stopped playing at the same moment to sing the last few lines a cappella.
"It was so beautiful to hear all the different harmonies in that moment," she said. "So that was my favorite part of the whole round was singing together with everybody."
The Christmas episode of "CMT Campfire Sessions" will air 9 p.m. ET on December 6 on CMT.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024