Country music fan Abby Skluzacek found comfort and healing in Carly Pearce's music--specifically, Pearce's song "Woman Down"--after Skluzacek suffered a stroke over a year ago.
"Woman Down," written by Shane McAnally, Jimmy Robbins, and Laura Veltz, was included as part of Pearce's 2020 self-titled project. The song's lyrics, such as "She can make a mountain move/And do it in her high heeled shoes/If she ain't back up yet, just stick around/You can't keep a woman down," resonated with Skluzacek.
She then took to social media to tell Pearce how much the song means to her. Skluzacek also asked Pearce if she would write down lyrics to the song in her own handwriting, so that Skluzacek could have it tattooed on her arm.
"Will you please write 'You Can't Keep a Woman Down' for me, so I can get it tattooed on my arm? The song came out almost a month after I had a stroke, and it's been my motivating song," Skluzacek's tweet said.
As part of the CMT Music Awards Fan Cam, CMT sent the message to Pearce, who immediately agreed to the request, writing down the lyrics on a slip of paper and holding it up to the camera for all to see.
True to her word, Skluzacek proudly had the words tattooed on her arm. She said via social media, "I cannot thank @carlypearce (@CMT and songwriters) enough for actually seeing my tweet to her and writing this out for me! I'm still in so much shock!!!! Now my next girl- I mean goal - is to meet Carly so she can see it in person!"
Pearce's career has been red-hot over the past few years. She followed her chart-topping debut single "Every Little Thing" with her most recent No. 1, "Hope You're Happy Now," a duet with Lee Brice. The song earned Pearce and Brice honors from both the Academy of Country Music and the Country Music Association.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024