Rich Fury/ACMA2019/Getty Images for ACM
George Strait commemorated First Responders Day with an emotional music video for “The Weight of the Badge” as a tribute to first responders.
The video highlights the risk first responders face daily through scenes of them prepping for or on their jobs and interviews with their worried families.
“The men and women in this music video are our friends and neighbors who carry the weight of the badge each day,” Strait said in the video. “Thank you. We appreciate you and the sacrifices you and your families make.”
Written by Strait, his son Bubba Strait and frequent collaborator Dean Dillon, the song’s lyrics include:
Not that long ago, he woke up in the hospital| With his wife and kids, praying by his bed| He said, I’m gonna be alright, there’s just sometimes you gotta fight| And the truth is nothing truer could be said|I do it for us, and I do it for them| And I ain’t gonna buckle under the weight of the badge.
The video premiered last night at the First Responders Children’s Foundation 20th anniversary gala in New York City, and many of the first responders featured in the video were in attendance.
Straight also launched TheWeightOfTheBadge.com, inviting guests to share their stories and gratitude for first responders.
- Maddie & Tae, Lauren Alaina, Brett Young and More Added To Voices Of America Country Music Fest LineupThe four-day concert is set for Thursday, Aug. 8 - Sunday, Aug. 11, 2024, at Voice of America MetroPark in West Chester, Ohio, near Cincinnati.02/23/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Kenny Chesney, Camille Parker, Kameron Marlowe and moreHear the newest in country music on CMT's playlist The Roundup.02/23/2024
- Dolly Parton Rallies Famous Friends, Dogs In Dresses and Hit Songs For a Night of Fashion and FunDolly Parton: "I think right now, everything is so dark and everything is so hateful. I thought it would be fun to do something fun and uplifting."02/21/2024
- Tigirlily Gold Talks Breakups, Moving On and CMT's Next Women of CountryThe sister duo said their new single "I Tried A Ring On" is "all about just that frustrating part of having to start over again."02/20/2024
- CMT Roundup: New Music From Brian Kelley, Lainey Wilson, Matt Stell And MoreTo hear the most exciting new releases in country music, see CMT's Roundup playlist.02/16/2024
- Beyoncé Releases Country Songs, But Will Country Radio Play Them?"Texas Hold' Em" and "16 Carriages" are from Beyoncé's upcoming album "Renaissance Act II" that will be available March 29.02/15/2024